Wednesday, September 27, 2006

You Call This a Party?



Have you ever been invited to a party where the entire purpose of the event was for the host to sell you something you didn't want? I don't know if this trend is sweeping the country or only popular with the suburban crowd of Southern Cal. In the last year, I've been invited to at least twenty little get togethers (disguised as parties) that include vendors. I've been pitched everything from lipstick that lasts all day (but burns the heck out of your lips!) to housewares (I'll never use) & clothing (that's not my style). This may be the modern version of a Tupperware party, but I'M GOING ON STRIKE. I love my friends and I'm a big fan of girls night out. I'd love to go out for dinner and a movie or come over and hang out (I'll even bring the wine), but please don't try to sell me anything!

P.S. Girl Scouts are still welcome. We'll take 10 boxes of Thin Mints.

6 comments:

Brophtron said...

Pampered chef, tupperware, scrapbooking supplies, etc. But they don't come up as often as they used to. The hosts usually get a selected prize based on the sales for the evening, but for the most part, it seems to be something that they enjoy themselves and want to share with others. They're usually up-front with me about it, though. Now where's that wine?

Octolad said...

I can definitely relate about the thin mints. Every spring through high school, I stockpiled six boxes in my locker to nibble between classes. Even today, I overlook the coconut oil slick they leave on the roof of your mouth when you eat them.

Two years ago, I was the only male present at a Party Lights® candle party hosted by a good friend -- kind of awkward. I was seduced by guilt, zinfandel, and open-faced sandwiches into buying a pedestal candle that smelled like piƱa coladas when burned. I'm grateful that my friend gave up the product, and now we hang out without the ugly commercial angle.

arfies said...

I had a friend who sold cutlery as one of her four jobs over the summer (!), and she was required to throw "parties" in which to make the sales pitch. One time she even called my mom (without my knowledge) and asked if she could host a gathering at our house in which to sell the knives. Needless to say, my mom and I thought this was rather tacky. It's annoying enough to invite people over to your own house to sell things; inviting people over to someone else's house to sell things is even stranger.

Marlo said...

Oh my.. I love those mint cookies. Of course, living in Canada, they're Girl Guides, not scouts. :P

Marlo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...

I totally understand where you are coming from! A couple years ago one of my "friends" got in contact with me again and almost immediately asked if I would host a Mary Kay party at my place cause she knew I had a lot of girl friends! Of course I was like a "Welcome Mat" at that time so I let her walk all over me and I did it...but never again!

BTW, you are doing a fantastic job blogging! Keep it up!