Monday, January 02, 2012

All About Eggs

I've received a lot of mail asking about chickens & eggs, so I'll try to answer some of your questions. There are many different varieties of chickens, we currently have 5. Some chickens are dual purpose, eggs & meat. But we ONLY eat the eggs. I'd have a hard time eating a pet that we've raised from a chick. The chicken pictured in this post, Marzipan, (photo credit: Christopher Ameruoso for OK! Magazine) is a silkie chicken. I like to refer to them as the "kittens" of the chicken world. Silkies are darling, fluffy & very mild-mannered. They are wonderful with children & will sit happily on your lap. Every time someone new sees one of our silkies they ask "What is that?". I have several friends who've gotten chickens after meeting mine. Silkies do lay eggs & the eggs are about 1/2 the size of a regular chicken egg (see photo for comparison to a Buff Orpington egg). They taste the same & they're perfect for recipes & as a "diet" egg. Farm raised eggs really do taste better & it's nice to know that our eggs come from happy chickens!

3 comments:

Joselle said...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm getting my Silkies in the spring!

Mary Chris said...

Wow - I never thought about raising chickens - but you have now inspired me!!!

SoozGO said...

I'd like to think that I inspired you to get hens, but I don't think you knew me when I had mine. (for those who didn't know, BTW, I didn't eat mine, they are happily living at a friend's ranch! Chickens are so fun. They have great personalities and bonus: they're a wonderful "science project" for your kids. If you only have a few, they are quite easy to manage and nurture. Plus, the cost to raise them is literally Chicken Feed...AND they give you fresh eggs!